Friday, February 19, 2010

A Year Ago Today



Today marks the one year anniversary since I first went to see my low vision optometrist with dreams of driving.  I thought this may be a good time to introduce you her: Dr. Dawn DeCarlo, featured in the photo above.  After all, she's really responsible for all of this.  She's the only one in my state who ventures to deal head on with bioptic technology.  She serves as a liaison with the state DMV and is a accomplished researcher.  She's excellent at her profession and still manages to be very personable.  She's an invaluable asset to me and many others who are blessed to be able to be her patient.  I hope she doesn't go anywhere anytime soon!  I guess that's selfish, but who can blame me?  She's great!


Driving is something we all undoubtedly take for granted.  I came into this Bioptic adventure trying to hold in any expectations.  Because of that, I'm not really disappointed I haven't driven yet.  After all, a year ago today, I had no bioptics, no permit, no red filters, no bioptic blog and no clue what would come of it all.  With that said, it's great to say my journey is far from over.  I've not been told NO by anyone...including the DMV...,but I am growing impatient for more progress.


Over the past 9 months my career advancements have taken over much of my personal life.  I'm happy to report things are much more settled these days on that front.  I've contacted Jennifer a few times with little success in getting any road trip training scheduled.  This week I'm amping it up. I finally feel I have adequate time and energy needed to devote to learning how to drive.


I also put some finishing touches on my bioptics.  Since I'm so light sensitive, Jennifer suggested I could cut a sun filter to fit onto the hole of my boptics during the day.  If you look at the photo of my bioptics  (on prior post) you'll see the bioptic sits in the red filters.  Well that tiny square hole in the top was the only thing not filtered.  While I didn't want it red filtered, as I wouldn't be able to see the green lights at all, I needed something to protect me from the sun when looking through the bioptic peep hole during daylight hours.  I brain stormed.  I would need something that i could actually easily remove for night driving and reattach for day driving.  The fix: velcro.  Yes friends, cousin to duct tape, velcro can solve many of life's problems.  I'll post a photo soon, as I don't think explaining this really helped you understand.  So with my driving tools all ready to go, I just need my trusty trainer to saddle up her horses so we can hit the trainee trail.  Yippee Ti Yi Yo....thats cowboy for Happy Trails Ahead!  As always, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: